Thursday 11 June 2015

And then there were 3

That was Dad's subject for his e-mail today.. and I thought I'd steal it. But yes.. I guess I only have 3 weeks left, which doesn't really seem to make sense to me in a lot of respects.. but it happens. 

This week was pretty insane. Lots of meetings! We had missionary leadership council on Wednesday, which is an all day affair, let me tell you.. And then in the 2 following days we had 2 other meetings since we are STLs of sisters that are in 2 different zones. We literally prepared the instruction we were asked to give on the subway as we were on our way to one of the meetings. Crazy. 

I had a really special experience yesterday during fast and testimony meeting. Sister Gallani called me the day before to make sure that I would be at church (I had to laugh because.. literally where else would we be other than church.. its like the pinnacle of our week) but, anyway.. on Sunday morning Sister Gallani asked that I would translate her testimony for her. I will not lie, I was SO incredibly nervous.. I was like, what if she talks to fast or I forget Albanian.. Seriously, I was dead nervous. But, good news everyone.. I didn't forget Albanian, and it was an incredible thing for me. Sister Gallani has never been able to bear her testimony in front of a congregation because she hasn't felt confident enough with her English. She talked about how grateful she was that a missionary was sent from her land that speaks her language so that she could testify about what she knew to be true. I was grateful to have the privilege to bear my own testimony after she was finished. I am so grateful for the amazing things that I've experienced with the few Albanians I've come into contact with here.

I wanted to share something really inspiring that I learned this week. In the latest general conference, Preisdent Packer said that "the end of all activity in the Church is to see that a man and a woman with their children are happy at home, sealed for eternity." As missionaries we are so passionate about finding, teaching and completing families because we know that the gospel is designed to bless and strengthen families. It is so important for us to attend church, (seriously.. Sabbath day observance is absolutely crucial to our spiritual health) but.. we can't just apply gospel principles one day out of the week. It has to be all the time, especially in our homes. That is where we will truly learn and understand the things that we must do to be the people we ought to become. 

In Isaiah 7:14-15 we read,  
"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.  Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."

Obviously here it is talking about the Savior.. and President Clayton asked us where the Lord would have eaten butter and honey.. and there was a little bit of silence and then he told us that the Savior ate those things at home, and that is where he learned between right and wrong, just as we all do. It is so powerful to think of the fact that the greatest place to build the kingdom of God is in our own homes. 

I am so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel, I am so grateful that I was raised by parents that have always sought to do good because I know that I would not be here on my mission, I would not have experienced or learned the things that I have if it were not for my parents who taught me the Gospel of Jesus Christ at home, and led by example. I know that this is greatest work that we can do, at any time of our lives regardless of what situation we may be in. The Church is true! :) 

I love you all, have a good week! 

Love,
Motra Vermunt 

No comments:

Post a Comment