Saturday 22 February 2014

Week 3

Hello, hello, hello!

I think I've been here for 3 weeks now.. I don't even know anymore. But, hey whatever. I hope this e-mail finds everyone happy and healthy! 

This past week has been a huge learning experience, so that's really good. On Sunday night Elder Holland was at our devotional. Oh my gosh, when he walked in the room I literally felt the Spirit enter along with him. Oh my goodness, I was so excited, I had both of my hands like clenched onto the Elders on either side of me. So cool! He didn't talk for too long because his son was the main speaker of the devotional (his talk was amazing). But what he did say was this, "When you get home and start looking for a spouse, do not focus so much on finding the right person. Instead, place your emphasis on BEING the right person." It was amazing. He's incredible. I love his talks so much. I listen to them often. 

Elder Holland's son - Matthew Holland gave a talk on Joseph Smith. It was absolutely incredible. The MTC choir sang Praise to the Man and I got immediate goosebumps. Oh my goodness, I love this gospel. Joseph Smith truly is one of the greatest men to ever live. And that doesn't mean that he was perfect, because he certainly wasn't. But, the courage he had is amazing. I spent a lot of time studying Joseph Smith History and I have so much admiration and love for that man. 

I had some ups and some downs this week. I'm gonna explain the downs though, because those are the lessons that really stick. Basically - the Elder's I teach with got into a fight right before we had to teach an 'investigator' and let me tell you.. the Spirit of contention is a real thing. We couldn't speak, we couldn't understand.. It was terrible. It showed me that without the Spirit, learning this language, teaching the Albanian people will literally be impossible. It was so humbling and I'm HOPING that the Elders learned the same things I did. 

Words I memorized this week
I can't explain how frustrating learning a language is. It's difficult because my testimony is so strong and I literally just want to share with my investigator exactly HOW I know the gospel is true, but I physically cannot. I pray every night and every day that the Spirit might help me learn. I think I'm doing alright at it, I work really hard. I study whenever I can. I take flashcards with me to the gym, I read the Book of Mormon in Albanian out loud each night before I go to bed, I say my companionship prayers in Albanian and I literally just conjugate words in my head while I'm in the shower. Haha. 

I love the MTC. Time is retarded, and the days are long but each night I think about how lucky I am to be here. I am surrounded by amazing people. All the time. They are incredible. My favourites are Elder Myers and Elder Temple. Elder Myers is a straight up G. He's hilarious. Elder Temple is amazing at Albanian. And he's a great leader. He's a crazy good example to me and I love him! That reminds me, I've been called to be a Sister Training Leader (which is like the equivalent to a zone leader with less responsibility obviously) Haha, but it's a cool experience. Lots of meetings and things. So that's cool. 

Myers is on the left, Temple on the right and then Penrod. 

So, my Elders are pretty rad and at breakfast on Valentine's Day they came in and dumped a bunch of cut out hearts on me. So, that was sweet :) They're so funny. I laugh so hard. All the time. Sometimes though, I'm like.. what kind of sick invention was the boy. Because sometimes they're so ridiculous. But it's cool. 

The last thing I want to share with y'all is my favourite mormon message. Check it out it's called "The Will of God." This past week, I've been like.. I'm working so hard, I'm trying to grow! Why is there no progression, why do I feel like nothing is working! Why did you call me to Albania? If you knew my mind, you would have seen that I can't learn Albanian!" But.. Okay, that's retarded to be  that negative. So, I watched this mormon message and it completely altered my view on everything. Rather than thinking "why would you do this to me?! Why would you cut me down?" We ought to be grateful for the lessons that we learn during hard times. The Lord knows everything that we do not. He understands our strengths and our weaknesses and He would never give us anything that we would not be able to accomplish or endure. I am so grateful for my loving Heavenly Father, He sends me messages of encouragement each and every day. Whether it is through feelings, thoughts or through other people. I know that the same applies to each and every one of His children. 

I am so grateful for everyone that sends me DearElders, I love hearing about what's happening there and I love all of your encouraging words. Keep being awesome! I love you all! 

Love, 

Motra Vermunt 



No comments:

Post a Comment