Thursday 6 February 2014

Sarah's First Letter Home

HI FAMILY!!! 

So, we only get a little bit of time to e-mail, so firstly I would just like to ask dad not to judge my grammar in this e-mail because I'm typing as fast as my little hands will go. 

Second, Meaghan wins the prize for best sister. I got a card AND a DearElder letter from her, which was so awesome. Getting DearElder letters are the best! Seriously, anyone who is willing to send one.. Please do! It's so nice to get letters at the end of the day. Speaking of which, Dad.. your letter came to me on a day that I desperately needed some encouragment. Thank you so much. I love you. 

Alright, so let me tell you that.. a week in the MTC literally feels like a month. I feel like I've been here forever! But it's all good because I'm convinced that this is one of the best places on earth. Having Auntie Jo drop me off was such a blessing. I felt so good coming in with her and meeting President Nally. Auntie Jo is literally an angel. 

So, as it turns out.. my companion and I are the only Sisters going to Albania. Crazy right!? On the first day, my companion was late because the airline lost her luggage.. Such a gong show. She's from BC! So, we're the only sisters and we're both Canadian. She's a sweetheart. Her name is Motra Martin and she's wonderful. I'm so lucky! 

But seriously guys.. My testimony has seriously grown so much. I have been here 7 days and I already feel so much closer to the Lord. I cannot begin to articulate how it feels to be here. It's so fun!! The food is not even that bad. I eat salads and wraps mostly Mom, so don't even worry. We also work out everyday and get this.. While I workout I listen to Elder Holland talks. Its ridiculous, I wish I had my journal with me so I could take notes. He is the greatest. 

Albanian is hard. Understanding the grammar is really frustrating. Also, the Elders in my district have all learned other languages, so they kind of have a step up. So, it's hard because I kind of feel like I'm behind. I study ALL the time. But, I have faith that the Lord knows that I can learn the language. 

I have had so many incredible experiences this week. I can't even explain them all to you. But, I'll give you a few: 

Sunday's at the MTC are incredible. I cannot even explain it to you. We have church and everything and then there is a devotional and then you watch a talk/video. The devotional was really great on Sunday it was by the MTC presidency. But before it started, we say Sisters in Zion (yes mom, your favourite song) and we sang the new lyrics.. Which say, "We go forth enlisted with Helaman's army, in numbers much greater than ever before." And I kid you not, listening to over 500 sister missionaries sing that was the most spiritually uplifting thing I've ever experienced. 

After that, we watched "Characteristics of Christ" by Elder Bednar, and it was an address he gave at the MTC a few years ago, and if you can find it.. I suggest you all try and read/watch it. It was so good. The Church is the coolest thing ever. I love it so much!!!!  

So, there are 16 of us going to Albania, and I'm not even kidding you we have the greatest group of missionaries ever. I have so much love for all of the Elders. When we bear testimonies as a district it is incredible. The first counselor in our branch presidency stood up and said "we have been here for 2 years, and never have we felt the Spirit so strong in a district." It's so true. They are all like the brothers I never had. Elder Myers is my saving grace. He's hysterical. He sits right next to me, and always helps me study conjugations. He's great. Before a meeting, a German elder got up and sang some opera-ish musical number. And it all kinda took us by surprise cause we didn't expect him to sing like that.. And Elder Myers leans over to me and goes "aca-believe it." I cracked up. I was trying not to laugh throughout the whole thing. He's brill. 

The last thing I want to tell you all, is that Heavenly Father answers prayers. I had the neatest experience this week as I sought to know if I could really do this. In Uncle Brent's blessing he told me that in "D&C 6, God is talking to you." And on the second day.. they expected us to teach a lesson.. IN ALBANIAN. It's been so hard. Because you try to understand what they're saying and you have no idea what to say back.. and you want the Spirit to be there so much and it just can't  because there's no way you can understand each other. Anyway.. I was feeling really discouraged after this.. and I prayed to Heavenly Father and I just pleaded to know if I could do this. I asked him if He by chance made a mistake by thinking he could send me to Albania. And during personal study, I had a prompting to read D&C 6. You guys, it is the most perfect verse that is directly connected to what I'm doing in my life right now. Verse 14 is my favourite because it literally tells me, that had it not been for the divine instruction I'd received in regards to serving a mission, I would not be at the MTC right now. I promise that we can receive answers to ALL of our blessings. Our Heavenly Father is so aware of each and every one of us. 

AND.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!! I love you so very much. I miss you, but please know that I have never felt more safe and happy. I know this is exactly where I need to be. I love the MTC. I love my Albanian companions and I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. Please have a wonderful day, and make sure that Dad buys you perfume or something nice. 

So, I'm kind of a big deal and have lots of people to e-mail. Just kidding. But, I love you all so so so much. Please update me with things that happen at home. 

Much love, 

Motra Vermunt 

p.s I'm trying to send pictures, but you might have to wait till next week.
p.p.s. PLEASE SEND DEAR ELDER LETTES
p.p.p.s. Mom, I desperately need a watch.

I've added the like to send her a Dear Elder Letter... just click right here!
 ***Unit #71 and departure date April 2

No comments:

Post a Comment